Thursday, May 8, 2008

Skinny and Sweet (There is an exception to every rule & NYC made me skinny)


There are a couple of new women practicing at the shala (doing second series).  One of them is practicing full second plus part of third.  I spied (post practice of course) her pincha and karandavasana and the woman totally had a Manju-as-a-child-pincha-photo banana back.  And she could bind her legs by herself and she could come down and almost come up (you could tell she can come up on days when she is up to it).  And her back was flat--almost even back bending--when she was resting on her arms.  *shrug*  Just goes to show that a)its not about the poses b)its about practice c)it takes patience d)every body is different.

Post-India Notes:
While getting dressed in the shala today I noticed that my big bra (the biggest size post-India) is too big.  India made me fat.  New York made me thin.  Ha ha.

Life/practice notes:
Had the WORST allergies today.  Could barely open my eyes this morning as they were so swollen.  Thought I had pink eye or something.  Yuck.  Felt so ill that I really thought I wouldn't make it to practice.  Low back is bothering too but I think its from adjusting people while I have bad posture.  In back bending I took it easy--just ankles.  (That is so ridiculous.  I am now really praying at the end of eka pada.  "Dear God, thank you for blessing me with legs, legs that work, legs that are able to do this crazy shit.  Thanks!)

Things I like/don't like:
Couldn't get through the first three pages of "Midnight's Children".  I must be a bad person.  Laughed my head off last night at "Nine-to-Five".  Absolutely infatuated with Amy Winehouse.

3 comments:

  1. banana back... made me laugh out loud! I love seeing how other people execute postures. It's so true about everyones different bodies. Every time I do karanda I think of you. ha! The other day I had the brilliant idea of rolling up my rug to create a little lift in my elbows (to, theoretically put my weight more into my hands when trying to push up), but as you can guess, it was a failure. Kicking up into pincha with your elbows elevated from a rolled up rug is hard! I may try it again. I'm slow to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it...she has a crappy backbend but can do Karanda? If so...COOL!!!! If not, can you re-explain what you meant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no. she had the opposite alignment in pincha and karan than what I thought would make it successful. Instead of being completely straight with ribs back and curving her spine like a little ball in karan, she had the opposite alignment. Her back was banana in pincha and it was flat as a pancake in karan, but she could do it and strong!
    heres a pic of manju:
    http://www.georgetownyoga.com/images/PeoplePlacesThings/young-manju_over.gif

    ReplyDelete