Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Boobalicious: Figuring out mayurasana

The "girls" haven't always gotten in the way.  I suppose over time I've figured out ways to adapt and use them as a gauge of where I am and where I should be.  For example, marichyasana C and D were impossible.  I couldn't figure them out.  And then I realized that what I needed to do was create space for the movement.  I might have been more flexible then some of the guys around me, but they didn't have anything on their chests that they had to bind in addition to their thighs.  So--duh!  Boobs have to be out of the way.  If I am doing marichi on the right side, they have to both be outside of the right thigh and then--voila!  Space!  So, I know that I'm not twisting deep enough in a pose if the nips aren't both on the outside of the thigh.  

In forward bending you can always go deeper.  I don't remember where I heard this but:
Nipples past knees!

So sometimes a pose is impossible unless I you navigate around them.  Other times they don't get in the way, but are helpful as a tool to figure out where you are in space.  Still other times they make things challenging.  Women have a weight on their chests.  The bigger your cup size, the heavier the weight.  What does this do for the muscles that support that weight?  Makes them tighter.  Sure I can cheat all I want in deep back bends, but what I really need is to open the upper chest.  Not so easy.  On some days, you;ll find me adjusting my chest as I drop back.  
  
And now in Mayurasana, where do the girls go?  Out to the sides?  In the middle?  Smash them?  Yesterday I just smashed them.  It was like trying to balance on water balloons.  Not easy.  Today I tried to pull them together.  But this isn't easy to do while keeping the vinyasa.  I asked Guy what he usually does, he just laughed and shrugged.  Okay ladies, what's a girl to do?

6 comments:

  1. Seems you having a challenging time mastering the Art of Yoga. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha!! THE BOOBS! Let's talk. Okay, I have serious boob issues and have had to get over using them as an excuse. You're so right about creating space in other postures- having breast is just a way to make a person really go for the twist! Mayurasana? Smash 'em flat. I've tried to work around them and it just doesn't work. I have found that once I just gave into having to squash them under my arms, I actually stopped fixating on them. There's so much other stuff going on in that posture, the boobs become less of an issue over time. Good luck. I know your struggle so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smash'em...in and upward...works for me. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's a whole posting on the ashtanga ezboard message board about this isssue..i'll try & find it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elise, I didn't know how to post a comment with the YouTube link (seemed long and obnoxious) so check out my special post to you on my blog! ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i ignored them today and had some lift-off!

    ReplyDelete