Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spring in New York

Has it officially begun?  Not sure, but I love it!  It is on days like this that walking down the street is a pleasure.  The city is so full of people--and so is the shala.  It has been positively packed lately.  I really like it that way.  Having so many possible distractions helps me focus.  And when I get to poses like pincha mayurasana, it makes me face my fears of falling over onto someone.  (Haven't hit anyone yet, but have scared a few unsuspecting practice neighbors.)  The only drawback for me is that it gets very hot and humid.  Not unbearably so, but enough to make it more challenging for me to breathe.  I have a tendency toward exertional asthma and used to carry an inhaler as a kid.  With the high pollen count this year pre-practice and the humidity in practice, I have quite an opportunity to work on my breathing.

I find that, on days like today, it is helpful because I don't feel 100% and am less apt to get competitive with myself.  Instead, I just tell myself to breathe and focus on bandha and it all just kind of unfolds on its own.  And then I kind of fold into karandavasana!  Well, the first part anyway.  

In the short time that I've been working karandavasana, I feel like I've learned some big lessons.  To come down (for me at least) it is essential that I am able to hollow out my belly first.  This is practically impossible on days like today where I cross on my own and then lose my balance and shift too much toward my elbows (like I'm going to fall on my belly).  I think Guy took this as a cue that I was ready to come down, so I came down, flexed my belly like crazy, and then muscled back up.  I have to have my hips over my head and then inhale.  In this position, I am not gripping my belly like death and am able to hollow it out on the exhale and then fold down into the pose.  This part is tricky.  If (when I hollow and come down) my hips aren't leaning toward my hands and shoulders moving forward, then I crash down on my butt.  I am not some bulky guy that can just hover.  I have to be able to build architecture that will work.  Its coming...

Spent the afternoon with Rachel soaking up sun in Central Park, debating universal health care systems, and giving each other yoga tips.  Rachel asked to see karandavasana.  Everything is easier on the grass.

3 comments:

  1. I totally can understand the shifting towards the elbow when tightening the lotus. I tighten and then lose my balance. My focus remains there even though my teacher will come over and assist with going down and then up, which is great to feel the entire posture, yet my brain stays in the lotus part of the posture….

    Happy Practicing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise, I love "everything is easier on grass"... it's like when I try to explain to someone the trouble I'm having in a posture, and then miraculously I can do it for them. Doing a pose without having all of 2nd series before it is so much easier! well, except for kapotasana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it is key to shift the dristhi further back when folding in the second leg. Then, looking almost straight down, I can lift my knees to lengthen/hollow the belly, fold the lotus in and come down (taking drishti forward again).

    Getting back up is another story entirely..

    susan

    ReplyDelete